LAPTOP / COMPUTER RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ART AND DESIGN STUDENTS
- It is highly recommended that each student own a personal computer. A laptop is ideal.
- You should have an external drive (1 TB) or use a cloud storage service (WSU OneDrive) to back-up your work.
- Consider a secondary display and keyboard for better ergonomics.
- You will need access to a high-speed internet connection.
MAC OR PC?
Here are some recommendations for specific Art and Design concentrations / majors in the Department of Art and Art History:
- Photography: MacBook Pro (16" suggested)
- Graphic Design: MacBook Pro (16" suggested)
- Fibers: Windows PC
- Fashion Design: Windows PC or Mac
- Fashion Merchandizing: MacBook Pro
- Industrial Design: Windows Gaming PC or MacBook Pro (16" suggested)
- Interior Design: Windows Gaming PC
- Studio Arts: Mac or Windows PC
- Art History: Mac or Windows PC
INFORMATION ON CHOOSING A MAC
If you are interested in getting a Mac, the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts (CFPCA) recommends a 16-inch MacBook Pro laptop or the 21.5-inch or 27-inch iMac desktop computers. Here is a link to more information about these computers: LINK
- The current 16-inch MacBook Pro models (any configuration) will meet minimum requirements for completing the work required in your classes. Get the most memory and storage capacity you can afford.
- A 13-inch MacBook Pro or MacBook Air will often NOT be suitable to effectively complete the work required in your classes.
- Some instructors may recommend that you also purchase an Apple iPad Pro and Pencil to be used as a secondary display and as a digital drawing tablet.
INFORMATION ON CHOOSING A PC
If you are interested in getting a PC laptop, the College of Fine, Performing and Communication Arts (CFPCA) provides examples of recommended models and additional technical specs. Here is the link to that information: LINK
Here is additional information from the Department of Art and Art History about choosing PC/Windows devices:
- It is recommended that you buy a "gaming" laptop which can run Windows 10 and has an Intel (i7 or i9) or AMD Ryzen (5 or 7) processors.
- Your PC should have at least 16GB of ram (32GB for greater longevity).
- You should use a Solid State Drive (SSD).
- You will also need a minimum 4GB video card. Nvidia is the preferred brand.
PURCHASING A COMPUTER
Here is the link to purchase Mac computers and iPads with your WSU student discount: LINK
Information about discounts on computers and other items available to WSU students may be found on the following WSU C&IT page: LINK
DEDICATED COMPUTER LABS
The Department of Art and Art History maintains computer labs for students. Students have access to desktop computers and outlets for their laptops in the labs.
Mac Labs (by concentration)
- Graphic Design
- Industrial Design
- Digital Art
PC Labs (by concentration)
- Fashion Design & Merchandising
- Interior Design
VIRTUAL COMPUTER LABS ACCESS
For Fall 2020, the on-campus computer labs of the Department of Art and Art History can be accessed from your laptop or desktop computer, allowing students to use the software (including type fonts) and computing power of the university's network. Details to follow.
COMPUTER ACCESS PROBLEMS
If you are having difficulty meeting your technology needs for the up-coming Fall 2020 semester, please contact the Dean of Students Office for assistance through Submit Your Questions.
updated July 9, 2020