Download a copy of the Painting
- 2018-19 Painting Checksheet; Sample 4-Year Plan (PDF)
- Curriculum Guide; Sample 4-Year Plan of Work (PDF)
- Course Descriptions
- Jeffrey Abt
- (MFA Drake University) Associate Professor of Painting an Drawing
- Research Interests: Paintings and constructions exploring display and transience; writings on museum history
- Adrian Hatfield
- (MFA Ohio University) Assistant Professor of Painting and Drawing
- Research Interests: Oil Paintings and dioramas dealing with the visual language of science.
- Mel Rosas
- (MFA Temple University) Professor of Painting and Drawing
- Research Interests: Painting: imagery influenced by Latin culture, icons and signage
- Margi Weir
- (MFA University of California at Los Angeles) Assistant Professor of Painting and Drawing
Recent Part-Time Faculty
Ani Garabedian, Josephine Primeau
What is this program?
The Painting and Drawing program, which has a long history of producing nationally prominent artists, offers a diverse array of courses designed to prepare students pursuing careers in art. It is based on providing a solid foundation in painting and drawing fundamentals through a rich exploration of tradiational media and techniques. Intermediate and advanced courses encourage students to develop a critical and conceptual approach to their contemporary art and culture. The program includes a graduate curriculum offering Master of Arts and Master of Fine Arts degrees in both Painting and Drawing.
What will I study?
- To train students to develop aptitudes and an aesthetic understanding appropriate to the art of painting.
- To understand the importance of deliberate and informed action in painting.
- To value the intuitive and less rational in the painting process.
- To fully utilize painting's expressiveness.
- To acquire a broad range of technical skills and knowledge of painting media.
- To appreciate the responsibility and significance of a commitment to making art.
- To develop an heightened awareness of his/her own needs and purposes as an artist.
What makes this program unique?
- Two painting studios
- Individual studio space for advanced painting majors
- Studio Lighting
- Canvas / Paper
- Painting various subjects (various media)
- Presenting work
- Class / Individual critiques
- Setting up still life / model
What does the program prepare me for?
- Independent Artist
- Professor / Instructor
- Painting restorer