Download a copy of the Drawing
- 2018-19 Drawing Checksheet; Sample 4-Year Plan (PDF)
- Pre-2018 Curriculum Guide; Sample 4-Year Plan of Work (PDF)
Need an override for an art course? Override form
- Jeffrey Abt
- (MFA Drake University) Associate Professor of Painting and Drawing
- Research Interests: Paintings and constructions exploring display and transience; writings on museum history.
- Adrian Hatfield
- (MFA Ohio University) Assistant Professor of Painting and Drawing
- Research Interests: Oil Paintings and dioramas dealing with the visual language of science.
- Melvin Rosas
- (MFA Temple University) Professor of Painting and Drawing
- Research Interests: Painting: imagery influenced by latin culture, icons and signage.
- Margi Weir
- (MFA University of California at Los Angeles) Assistant Professor of Painting and Drawing
What is this program?
The Painting and Drawing program, which has a long history of producing nationally prominent artists, offers a diverse array of courses designed to prepare students pursuing careers in art. It is based on providing a solid foundation in painting and drawing fundamentals through a rich exploration of traditional media and techniques. Intermediate and advanced courses encourage students to develop a critical and conceptual approach to their contemporary art and culture. The program includes a graduate curriculum offering Master of Arts and Master of Fine Arts degrees in both Painting and Drawing.
What will I study?
- To train students to effectively compose and visually translate a three-dimensional reality into a two-dimensional plane through drawing based on observation and imagination.
- To gain competence in the use of traditional dry and wet drawing media.
- To gain experience in the appropriate selection of medium and approach for the idea at hand.
- To understand the potential of drawing to function as an end in itself, as well as a preliminary study for another medium.
- To introduce and develop the formal vocabulary of drawing; composition and design, perspective, anatomy, and other concepts necessary for aspiring artists to self-evaluate their work.
What makes this program unique?
- Life Drawing Studio - Complete with 20 Easels, Drawing Boards and Drawing Horses.
- Basic Drawing Studio - Complete with 20 drafting tables.
- Rooms complete with props and tables for still life setups and ventilated fixative spraying units.
- Customizable lighting.
- Oil/Chalk Pastel
- Life Drawing
- Still life
- Landscape drawing
- Individual/Class Critiques
What does the program prepare me for?
- Independent Artist